The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Program is a prestigious scholarship scheme that supports future leaders from developing countries who want to promote democracy and social justice in their home regions. The program offers fully-funded master’s degrees in subjects that are relevant for the social, political, and economic development of the partner countries.
To be eligible for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Program, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent with at least two years of relevant professional experience.
- You must be a citizen of a developing or emerging country (see the list of eligible countries here).
- You must have a very good command of English or German, depending on the language of instruction of the chosen master’s course.
- You must not have been in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.
- You must show a strong motivation and commitment to contribute to the development of your home country and region.
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Program covers the following expenses for the selected scholarship holders:
- A monthly stipend of 861 euros for living expenses.
- A travel allowance for the flight to and from Germany.
- A study and research allowance of 460 euros per year.
- A health insurance, accident insurance, and personal liability insurance.
- A rent subsidy or family allowance, if applicable.
- A tuition fee waiver or subsidy, depending on the master’s course.
You can also check this out: Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada for International Students 2023
To apply for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Program, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- You need to choose one of the eight participating master’s courses that match your academic background and career goals. You can find the list of the courses and their details here.
- You need to submit an online application form through the DAAD portal. You can access the portal here.
- You need to upload the required documents to the DAAD portal. These include:
- A letter of motivation explaining your reasons for applying, your professional and academic goals, and how you intend to use the knowledge and skills acquired in Germany for the benefit of your home country and region.
- A curriculum vitae in the Europass format. You can create your CV here.
- A copy of your bachelor’s degree certificate and transcript of records.
- A proof of your English or German language proficiency, depending on the language of instruction of the chosen master’s course. This can be a TOEFL, IELTS, TestDaF, or DSH certificate, or a confirmation from your previous university that your medium of instruction was English or German.
- Two letters of recommendation from your current or former employers or professors, attesting to your academic and professional qualifications and potential.
- A copy of your passport.
You can also check this out: Universities in Canada With Low Tuition Fees for International Students 2023-2024
How to Apply
The application procedure for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Program consists of the following steps:
- Register on the DAAD portal and fill out the online application form.
- Upload the required documents to the DAAD portal.
- Submit your application by the deadline.
- Wait for the confirmation email from the DAAD portal.
- Send a hard copy of your application to the respective master’s course coordinator by post.
- Wait for the pre-selection results from the master’s course coordinator. If you are shortlisted, you will be invited for an interview.
- Wait for the final selection results from the DAAD. If you are awarded the scholarship, you will receive an official letter of admission and a scholarship confirmation.
The deadline for the online application on the DAAD portal is July 31, 2023. The deadline for the hard copy application to the master’s course coordinator may vary depending on the course. Please check the specific deadline for each course here.