This scholarship program is open to citizens or permanent residents of the United States, Asia, and the Pacific region who want to study at the University of Hawaii at Manoa (UHM) and participate in the educational, cultural, and leadership development programs at the East-West Center (EWC).
The East-West Center is an independent, public, nonprofit organization that promotes better relations and understanding among the people and nations of the United States, Asia, and the Pacific through cooperative study, research, and dialogue. The EWC Graduate Degree Fellowship is one of its flagship programs that aims to foster a diverse and dynamic community of scholars and leaders who contribute to positive change in the region and beyond.
To be eligible for the EWC Graduate Degree Fellowship, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of one of the countries listed below:
- United States Pacific Region: American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Northern Marianas, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis & Futuna Islands
- Southeast Asia: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam
- South Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Iran, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
- East Asia: China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Russia, Taiwan
- You must have obtained a 4-year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited U.S. college or university or from a recognized institution of higher learning abroad before the start of the award.
- You must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (4.0=A scale) or the equivalent in the last four semesters or six quarters of your undergraduate record and in all post-baccalaureate work.
- You must apply for admission to a master’s or doctoral degree program at UHM that is relevant to the goals and objectives of EWC.
- You must demonstrate a commitment to participate in EWC’s educational, cultural, residential community building, and leadership development programs.
You can also check this out: Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada for International Students 2023
The EWC Graduate Degree Fellowship provides the following funding:
- Full-time graduate tuition and fees up to the equivalent of the general tuition charged for post-baccalaureate students at UHM.
- Housing in an EWC residence hall based on single occupancy.
- A stipend to partially cover food and incidental expenses.
- An allowance for books, materials, and supplies.
- A subsidy toward health insurance coverage.
The fellowship is granted initially for 12 months but may be renewed for an additional year subject to funding availability and satisfactory progress toward completion of the degree and fulfillment of EWC requirements.
To apply for the EWC Graduate Degree Fellowship, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- You must complete and submit the online application form for EWC by December 1, 2023. The application form will ask you to provide personal information, academic background, statement of objectives, letters of reference, transcripts, test scores, and other supporting documents.
- You must also apply for admission to UHM by December 1, 2023. You must use the online application system (here) and follow the instructions for international or domestic applicants depending on your citizenship status. You must also submit all the required documents for your chosen program of study by January 10, 2024.
- You must indicate your interest in being considered for the EWC Graduate Degree Fellowship on both the EWC and UHM application forms.
- You must meet the English language proficiency requirement for UHM admission.
You can also check this out: Universities in Canada With Low Tuition Fees for International Students 2023-2024
The following documents are required for your EWC Graduate Degree Fellowship application:
- A completed online application form with a non-refundable $25 application fee.
- A statement of objectives that explains your reasons for applying to EWC and UHM, your academic and professional goals, your proposed field of study and research topic, and how your study and research will contribute to the EWC’s mission and vision.
- Two letters of reference from academic or professional sources who can evaluate your academic performance, intellectual ability, and potential for leadership. One letter should be from a faculty member who has taught you in your major field of study. The other letter should be from someone who can comment on your civic engagement or community service activities. You must use the EWC reference forms (here) and submit them online or by mail.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
Scholarship Official website: East-West Center Graduate Scholarship In USA 2024