The Herchel Smith Scholarship Programme recognises and supports outstanding full-time students who show the potential to make a significant contribution to the area of intellectual property law. This programme supports PhD students in intellectual property law and those working at the intersection of intellectual property law and other areas of sciences and humanities.
The award is for new applicants who will enrol at the start of the coming academic year, in September 2024. Therefore, current PhD students who enrolled prior to September 2024 are not eligible to apply for the award.
The award is open to both UK and international applicants. However, applicants should note that the PhD programme only has one entry point each year – in September. Most LLM courses in the UK end with graduation in November. Entry on to the PhD programme is dependent upon obtaining a certain grade on the LLM so as to meet the academic entry requirements. This means for applicants currently taking their LLM in the UK (but not at Queen Mary) where the date of graduation falls after September 2024, and/or for international applicants requiring a UK student visa who are currently taking an LLM in the UK, then an application this year is not possible.
You can also check this out: Universities in Canada With Low Tuition Fees for International Students 2023-2024
The Herchel Smith Scholarship covers three years of study while in full-time enrolment, subject to satisfactory annual progress reports. The award will cover all tuition fees whether at the home rate or the international rate. In addition, an award of around £12,500 per year (reviewed annually) will be paid to the recipient on a regular basis throughout the academic year starting from September 2024.
Successful recipients of this award will undertake research support work and any related tasks as required, of up to 6 hours per week for the duration of their studies, for the Queen Mary Intellectual Property Law Research Institute (QMIPRI).
Applicants for the Herchel Smith Scholarship must submit the following documents:
- A completed online PhD application form
- A research proposal of no more than 2,000 words
- A personal statement of no more than 500 words
- Two academic references
- Copies of academic transcripts and certificates
- Evidence of English language proficiency (if applicable)
You can also check this out: Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada for International Students 2023
How to Apply
The application procedure for the Herchel Smith Scholarship consists of two steps:
- Notifying the School of Law of your application for Herchel Smith funding by sending an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Herchel Smith Scholarship Application”. The email should include your full name, student number, and a brief summary of your research topic.
- Submitting your online PhD application via the Queen Mary online portal by the deadline. You must indicate that you are applying for the Herchel Smith Scholarship in the funding section of the application form.
The closing date for Herchel Smith Scholarship applications is Friday 2 June 2024 and the selection process will be completed by early August.