The University of Melbourne is one of the leading research universities in Australia and the world. It offers a range of graduate research degrees in various disciplines, from arts and humanities to engineering and medicine. If you are interested in pursuing a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne, you may be eligible for a scholarship that covers your tuition fees and living expenses.
To be eligible for the University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships, you must:
- Have applied for and meet the requirements for a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne, or be currently enrolled in a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne.
- Be a domestic or international student.
- Have achieved academic excellence in your previous degree and demonstrate research potential in your field of study.
- Not have already completed a degree at the same or higher level as the research course for which the scholarship is sought, unless there are exceptional circumstances.
The University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships provide the following benefits to the successful applicants:
- A full fee offset for up to two years for students undertaking a Masters by Research degree or up to four years for students undertaking a doctoral degree.
- A living allowance of $32,376 per year (2023 rate) for up to two years for students undertaking a Masters by Research degree or up to 3.5 years for students undertaking a doctoral degree. The living allowance may be indexed annually and includes limited paid sick, maternity and parenting leave.
- Relocation grant of $2,000 for students moving from States or Territories other than Victoria or $3,000 for students moving from outside Australia.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Single Membership for international students who require a student visa to study in Australia.
You can also check this out: Universities in Canada With Low Tuition Fees for International Students 2023-2024
To apply for the University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships, you must:
- Meet the entry requirements for your chosen graduate research degree, such as academic qualifications, English language proficiency, and research proposal.
- Submit an online application for admission and scholarship by the relevant closing date for your course.
- Provide all the required supporting documents, such as academic transcripts, curriculum vitae, referee reports, and proof of citizenship or residency.
The documents that you need to submit for your application may vary depending on your course and your circumstances. However, some of the common documents that you need to provide are:
- Academic transcripts and certificates of completion for all your previous tertiary studies.
- Evidence of English language proficiency, such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE test results, or a letter from your previous institution confirming that your degree was taught and assessed in English.
- A research proposal that outlines the aims, significance, methodology, and expected outcomes of your research project.
- A curriculum vitae that highlights your academic achievements, research experience, publications, awards, and professional affiliations.
- Two referee reports from academic or professional referees who can comment on your academic ability and research potential.
- A copy of your passport or birth certificate, or a certificate of Australian citizenship or permanent residency, if applicable.
You can also check this out: Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada for International Students 2023
How to Apply
The application procedure for the University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships is as follows:
- Find a graduate research course that suits your interests and goals, and check the entry requirements and closing dates.
- Contact a potential supervisor in your chosen field of study and discuss your research proposal with them.
- Prepare your online application for admission and scholarship, and upload all the required supporting documents.
- Submit your online application by the relevant closing date for your course.
- Wait for the outcome of your application, which will be notified by email within four to six months after the closing date.
- Accept or decline your offer of admission and scholarship, and complete the enrolment process.
The deadline for applying for the University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships varies depending on your course and your citizenship status. However, some of the general closing dates are:
- 31 October for international students applying for courses starting in the following year.
- 31 May for domestic students applying for courses starting in the second half of the year.
- 31 October for domestic students applying for courses starting in the first half of the following year.