The University of Oxford is one of the most prestigious and oldest universities in the world, offering a wide range of academic disciplines and degree programs. If you are an international student who dreams of studying at Oxford, you may be interested in applying for the Clarendon Scholarship, which is a fully funded scholarship that covers tuition fees, living expenses, and other costs for eligible master’s and doctoral students.
The Clarendon Scholarship is awarded by the Clarendon Fund, which was established in 2001 by the University of Oxford to provide financial support for outstanding graduate students from all over the world. The scholarship is based on academic merit and potential, and there are no restrictions on nationality, residence, or field of study. The scholarship is highly competitive and attracts thousands of applicants each year.
To be eligible for the Clarendon Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be applying for a new full-time or part-time master’s or doctoral course at the University of Oxford by the relevant January or December deadline, depending on your course. You can check the course admission deadlines here.
- You must have an excellent academic record and demonstrate strong academic potential for your chosen course of study. You must also show evidence of motivation, leadership, and commitment to your field.
- You must not have already studied at Oxford or hold another Oxford scholarship that covers your tuition fees or living costs.
The Clarendon Scholarship provides the following financial benefits to the selected scholars:
- Full coverage of tuition and college fees for the duration of your course.
- A generous annual grant for living costs, which will be at least £15,009 for 2024-25 for full-time scholars and a study support grant for part-time scholars.
- Additional funding for research expenses, travel costs, maternity/paternity leave, disability support, and other needs depending on your course and circumstances.
To apply for the Clarendon Scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must complete and submit an online application form for your chosen course of study at the University of Oxford through the Graduate Application Portal. You must also pay the application fee and upload all the required documents by the deadline.
- You must indicate that you wish to be considered for funding by selecting “Yes” in the section on funding in your application form. You do not need to submit a separate application form or statement for the Clarendon Scholarship.
- You must meet the entry requirements and selection criteria for your chosen course of study. You can check the course pages here for more details on the specific requirements and criteria for each course.
- You must also meet the English language requirements for your chosen course of study. You can check the English language requirements and find out how to provide evidence of your English proficiency.
You can also check this out: Universities in Canada With Low Tuition Fees for International Students 2023-2024
To apply for the Clarendon Scholarship, you must upload the following documents as part of your online application form for your chosen course of study:
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or resume that summarizes your academic qualifications, achievements, work experience, skills, interests, and any other relevant information.
- A personal statement that explains your reasons for applying to your chosen course of study, your academic background and preparation, your research interests and objectives, your career plans and aspirations, and how you would benefit from studying at Oxford and receiving the Clarendon Scholarship.
- A research proposal that outlines your proposed research topic, questions, aims, methods, literature review, expected outcomes, significance, and timeline. This is required only for doctoral courses or master’s courses that involve a substantial research component.
- Two or three academic references that attest to your academic performance, potential, motivation, and suitability for your chosen course of study. The references should be written by professors or lecturers who have taught or supervised you in your previous or current studies.
- Transcripts and certificates that show your academic results and qualifications from all your previous or current studies. If your transcripts are not in English, you must provide certified translations as well.
- Evidence of English language proficiency if required by your chosen course of study. This could be a test score report from an accepted English language test such as IELTS or TOEFL or a certificate from a previous institution where you studied in English.
The application procedure for the Clarendon Scholarship is as follows:
- Step 1: Choose a course of study that you are interested in and eligible for at the University of Oxford. You can browse the course catalogue here and find out more about the course content, structure, requirements, deadlines, and fees.
- Step 2: Prepare your online application form and all the required documents for your chosen course of study. You can access the Graduate Application Portal and follow the instructions on how to register, fill in the form, upload the documents, pay the fee, and submit the application.
- Step 3: Indicate that you wish to be considered for funding by selecting “Yes” in the section on funding in your application form. You do not need to submit a separate application form or statement for the Clarendon Scholarship.
- Step 4: Wait for the outcome of your application. You will receive an email from the University of Oxford confirming that your application has been received and processed. You will also receive an email from the Clarendon Fund informing you whether you have been shortlisted or not for the scholarship. The final decisions will be made by April 2024 and you will be notified by email if you have been awarded the scholarship or not.
You can also check this out: Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada for International Students 2023
The deadline for applying for the Clarendon Scholarship is the same as the deadline for applying for your chosen course of study at the University of Oxford. The deadlines vary depending on the course and are either in December 2023 or January 2024.
Scholarship Official website: University Of Oxford Clarendon Scholarship In UK 2024